The National Archives (TNA) has provided the following update on its digitisation projects;
A) Licensed Internet Associateships (“LiAs”) – available free onsite at the National Archives building in Kew, London:
1. 1911 Census
The complete 1911 census records for people living in England, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are now online at 1911census.co.uk, including full details of British Army personnel and their families stationed overseas. Free access at Kew is now available across all public terminals.
2. World War I Soldiers’ Records
Pensions Records (WO 364) complete and online from www.ancestry.co.uk. Service Records (WO 363) – surnames A-N live. Final content launch (surnames O-Z and mis-sorts) is due later in the year.
3. Non-parochial births, marriages and deaths
RG 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 33 live on www.bmdregisters.co.uk from S&N Genealogy.
Rest of package still to come: RG 32, 34-36 and BT 158-160.
4. Immigration Records (BT 26, HO 2, 3 & 5)
BT 26 live online from www.ancestry.co.uk. HO 2, 3 & 5, transcription in progress, due to launch later in 2009.
5. Chelsea Pensioners’ Records (WO 96, 97)
Scanning is underway onsite by findmypast.com. First content launches due late in 2009.
B) Academic, non-exclusive and non-commercial projects
1. State Papers Domestic, Foreign and Ireland 1509-1714
Series I (Domestic, Tudor) launched 18 November 2008, available free in TNA reading room via “OPERA” menu. Series II (foreign and Ireland, Tudor) is due for release shortly. The collection offers fully word-searchable calendar entries linked to original document images, and will match TNA documents with papers from the manuscript department of the British Library.
2. RG 18: Census Maps
Digital versions of the original Registration District maps from the 1871 census are now available to browse and download at cassinimaps.co.uk.
C) Documents Online
Series Currently in production for TNA’s Documents Online website:
- ADM 139: Naval Ratings’ service records 1853-72 – first 200 of 1000 pieces online; remainder online later in 2009.
- ADM 159: Royal Marines registers of service now complete online.
- ADM 196: Navy Officers’ service records 1756-1966 – selected 98 pieces up to 1920 now online- for piece list see: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/adm196.asp
- ADM 337: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves records, World War I live online.
- BT 389: World War II merchant shipping movement cards now online.