Burial records for the seven cemeteries and one crematorium managed by Bolton Council, Lancashire are being made available online.
Deceased Online says: “All data for Tonge, the largest cemetery in the area, is now available with the rest to follow over the next 6-8 weeks. There will be nearly 450,000 burial and cremation records in all. There are nearly 117,000 burials in Tonge Cemetery and the data comprises:
- Details of all graves indicating those buried in each grave;
- Scans of all burial registers;
- Over 3,000 photographs of memorials and headstones;
- Cemetery maps indicating grave locations*.
“With over 95,000 burial records, Heaton is the second cemetery managed by Bolton Council to be added to Deceased Online. Following the launch of Tonge Cemetery, the inclusion of all data for Heaton brings the size of the database for the area to 211,000 burials.
“The data for Heaton Cemetery commences with the first burials in 1879 through to 2012 and comprises:
- Details of all graves indicating those buried in each grave
- Scans of all burial registers
- Cemetery maps indicating grave locations*
* Note: The cemetery maps indicate the section where the selected grave is located. Each section or block comprises approximately 100 graves and as many of the headstones incorporate grave reference numbers it is relatively easy to find the searched-for grave using the maps.
“Data for five more cemeteries and Overdale Crematorium in Bolton is coming soon.”