Sharon Hartas of UKBMD and UKGDL has sent a message about some of the interesting websites that she’s added to UKBMD and UKGDL.
“The one I have spent most hours browsing round is called INTERNET ARCHIVE, which has been added to UKBMD and UKGDL. It has many scanned books online. To search through the books – click on the Texts section, then use the search box.
“It is worth noting that searching for ‘parish register’ and ‘parish registers’ give different results, so you may need to be creative when searching. You can then browse the full text of the books online and even search within its pages for a particular name or phrase. Searching for a particular place or county results in a wealth of information which may just distract you from what you were doing.
“Grab a coffee and have a browse. As well as parish registers there are trade directories, gazetteers, histories and much more. I even searched for ‘Hartas’ and found a novel from the 1880’s called Hartas Maturin, not quite what I was expecting but interesting all the same.
“The others I wanted to mention are:
- UKGDL – Mariners and Ships in Australian Waters – Were your ancestors part of a ships crew? This site lists the ships and people aboard. Look under the British Abroad at the bottom of the county list
- UKGDL – Index of Lunatic Asylums and Mental Hospitals in England and Wales. Click on Miscellany to this link.
- UKGDL – Cheshire Trade Directories.
- UKGDL – Convicts Transportation Register Database from the Queensland State Library in Australia – look under British Abroad.
- UKGDL – The Surnam Index Online – a biographical card index of about 32,000 Congregational ministers.
- UKGDL – Midlands Historical Data – a wealth of trade directories. Searching is free and you can view a snippet, then pay to view the full details.
- UKGDL – Genmaps – old maps of England, Scotland and Wales.
- UKBMD – Gravestone Photographs for many counties. Free photographs and easy surname search. Relies on contributions – do you have any photographs you could contribute?
- UKBMD – Indian Cemeteries – for Britains abroad in historic India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Burma.
- UKBMD – Oxfordshire Family History Society – transcriptions of Oxfordshire wills.
- UKBMD and UKGDL – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser, listing birth, marriage and death announcements as well as scanned images of all sorts of interesting articles.
- UKBMD and UKGDL – British Newspapers Online from the British Library. Birth, marrriage and death announcements, obituaries, articles.
- UKBMD and UKGDL – Historical Manuscripts – lists details of historical manuscripts that have been found on online auction sites, surnames and basic details.
- UKBMD – some new One Name Studies in the ONS section.