The East Norfolk Electoral Register and other registers have recently been made available online.
The Original Record has put the following registers online:
1072-1241 Early Charters of St Paul’s Cathedral
The Liber A or Pilosus of St Paul’s Cathedral, London was initiated in 1241 as an attempt at copying all the charters, chirographs and other diverse writings found in the treasury of the church; after that original project was abandoned, the codex came to be used as a general register or cartulary. The first portion was edited for the Royal Historical Society by Marion Gibbs and printed in 1939. Where the original charters also survived, or a better text was found in Liber L, she used these superior sources. Liber A never became a complete register of the cathedral’s charters; nor are the charters it contains necessarily the most important, nor were they grouped chronologically or geographically. The text remains as a record of part of the great landed wealth of the church in London and nearby. The persons that appear are the grantors, justices, those named in the descriptions of property, and the witnesses. The charters extend back well before the Conquest, but the first surnames or cognomens do not appear until about 1072. Many of the items are undated, but the editor was able to suggest dates or periods on the basis of the witness lists or the place of a charter in a series creating a title to particular property. There are a few items later than 1241 interpolated in later hands and noticed in the text, but the bulk of the charters are from the late 12th and early 13th centuries.
1840 East Norfolk Electoral Register
The register of electors entitled to vote in any parliamentary election for East Norfolk between 1 November 1840 and 1 November 1841 lists 8,556 freeholders arranged by hundred, and within hundred by parish or township etc. In the first column, after number within the register, the elector’s name is given (surname first); the second column gives place of abode; the third column the nature of qualification (such as ‘owner and occupier’); and the fourth column the address of the qualifying property, in some cases with the name of the tenant or occupier. The Original Record has indexed this separately by parish or township and by freeholders and tenants etc.
The register covers:
Acle, Alborough, Alburgh, Alby, Aldeby, Alderford, Alfington, Antingham, Arminghall, Ashby, Ashby-with-Oby, Ashmanhaugh, Ashwellthorpe, Aslacton, Attlebridge, Aylmerton, Aylsham,
Baconsthorpe, Bacton, Banningham, Barford, Barnham Broom, Barningham Norwood, Barningham Winter, Barton Turf, Bawburgh, Bawdeswell, Bedingham, Beeston Regis, Beeston St Andrew, Beeston St Lawrence, Beighton, Belaugh, Bessingham, Billingford (Earsham hundred), Billingford (Eynsford hundred), Billockby, Bintry, Bixley, Blickling, Blofield, Booton, Bowthorpe, Bracon Ash, Bradeston, Bradfield, Bramerton, Brampton, Brandiston, Brandon Parva, Brassingham, Brockdish, Brooke, Broome, Brumstead, Brundall, Buckenham, Bunwell, Burgh Apton, Burgh St Margaret, Burgh St Mary, Burgh St Peter, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund (South Burlingham), Burlingham St Peter (North Burlingham), Burston, Buxton, Bylaugh,
Caister(-on-Sea), Caister St Edmund, Calthorpe, Cantley, Carleton Forehoe, Carleton-Rode, Carleton St Peter, Catfield, Catton, Cawston, Chedgrave, Claxton, Clippesby, Colby, Colney, Coltishall, Colton, Corpusty, Costessey, Coston, Cringleford, Cromer, Crostwight, Crownthorpe,
Denton, Deopham, Dickleburgh with Langmere, Dilham, Diss, Ditchingham, Drayton, Dunston,
Earsham, East Beckham, East Carleton, Easton, East Ruston, East Somerton, Edingthorpe, Ellingham, Elsing, Erpingham,
Felbrigg, Felmingham, Felthorpe, Fersfield, Filby, Flordon, Forncett St Mary, Forncett St Peter, Foulsham, Foxley, Framingham Earl, Framingham Pigot, Freethorpe, Frettenham, Fritton, Fundenhall,
Geldeston, Gillingham All Saints, Gillingham St Mary, Gimingham, Gissing, Great Hautbois, Great Melton (Melton Magna), Great Plumstead, Great Witchingham, Great Yarmouth, Gresham, Guestwick, Guist, Gunton,
Hackford (Forehoe hundred), Hackford next Reepham, Haddiscoe, Hainford, Hales, Halvergate, Hanworth, Happisburgh, Hapton, Hardley, Hardwick, Hassingham, Haverland, Hechingham, Hedenham, Hellesdon, Hellington, Hemblington, Hempnall, Hempstead cum Eccles, Hemsby, Hethel, Hethersett, Hevingham, Heydon, Hickling, Hindolveston, Hingham, Holverston, Honing, Honingham, Horning, Horsey, Horsford, Horsham St Faith and Newton St Faith, Horstead with Stanninghall, Hoveton St John, Hoveton St Peter, Howe,
Ingham, Ingworth, Inwood, Irmingland, Irstead, Itteringham,
Keswick, Ketteringham, Kimberley, Kirby Bedon, Kirby Cane, Kirstead, Knapton,
Lammas with Little Hautbois, Langley, Lessingham, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Little Barningham, Little Melton (Melton Parva), Little Plumstead, Little Witchingham, Loddon, Ludham, Lyng,
Mannington, Marlingford, Marsham, Martham, Matlask, Mautby, Mendham, Metton, Morley St Botolph, Morley St Peter, Morningthorpe, Morton, Moulton (Depwade hundred), Moulton (Walsham hundred), Mulbarton, Mundham, Mundsley,
Neatishead, Needham, Newton Flotman, Northrepps, North Walsham, Norton Subcourse,
Ormesby St Margaret with Scratby, Ormesby St Michael, Oulton, Overstrandd, Oxmead,
Palling, Paston, Plumstead, Poringland, Postwick, Potter Heigham, Pulham St Mary Magdalene, Pulham St Mary the Virgin,
Rackheath, Ranworth with Panxworth, Raveningham, Redenhall with Harleston, Reedham, Reepham with Kerdiston, Repps with Bastwick, Ridlington, Ringland, Rockland St Mary, Rollesby, Roughton, Roydon, Runhall, Runham, Runton, Rushall,
Salhouse, Sall, Saxlingham Nethergate, Saxlingham Thorpe, Saxthorpe, Sco’ Ruston (South Ruston), Scole with Frenze and Thorpe Parva, Scottow, Seething, Shelfanger, Shelton, Sherringham, Shimpling, Shotesham All Saints, Shotesham St Mary & St Martin, Sidestrand, Sisland, Skeyton, Sloley, Smallburgh, Southrepps, South Walsham St Lawrence, South Walsham St Mary, Southwood, Sparham, Spixworth, Sprowston, Stalham, Starston, Stockton, Stoke Holy Cross, Stokesby with Herringby, Stratton St Mary, Stratton St Michael, Stratton Strawless, Strumpshaw, Suffield, Surlingham, Sustead, Sutton, Swafield, Swainsthorpe, Swannington, Swanton Abbott, Swardeston,
Tacolneston, Tasburgh, Taverham, Tharston, Thelveton, Themelthorpe, Thorpe (Blofield hundred), Thorpe Abbotts, Thorpe Market, Thorpe next Haddiscoe, Thrigby, Thurgarton, Thurlton, Thurne, Thurning, Thurton, Thwaite (Loddon hundred), Thwaite (South Erpingham hundred), Tibenham, Tivetshall St Margaret, Tivetshall St Mary, Toft Monks, Topcroft, Tottington, Trimingham, Trowse with Newton, Trunch, Tunstall, Tunstead, Twyford,
Upton with Fishley,
Wacton, Walcott, Waxham, Welborne, West Beckham, Weston, West Somerton, Westwick, Wheatacre All Saints, Whitlingham, Whitwell, Wickhampton, Wicklewood, Wickmere, Winfarthing, Winterton, Witton (Blofield hundred), Witton (Tunstead hundred), Wolterton, Woodbastwick, Wood Dalling, Wood Norton, Woodton, Worstead, Wortwell, Wramplingham, Wreningham, Wroxham, and Wymondham.
1847-1954 Glenalmond Register
Trinity College, Glenalmond, Perthshire, was originally founded as a college at which young men might be trained for the ministry of the Scottish Episcopal Church, and the sons of the laity might be educated and brought up in the faith and tradition of the Church. In 1876 the Theological College was transferred to Edinburgh, Glenalmond remaining as a boys’ school. This second edition of the school register, edited by G. St Quintin, was published in 1955, incorporating the text of the first edition prepared by E. W. Neish. The scholars are listed by term of entering the school, and then alphabetically by surname; the details then given are full christian names, date of birth; name of father; any distinctions within the school; and then a career synopsis, with date and place of death where known.
1892-1902 Metropolitan Police Register of Joiners
The London Metropolitan Police Register of Joiners (MEPO 4/336) lists policemen joining the force 1 January 1892 to 23 June 1902 (warrant numbers 77319 to 88811). The register is alphabetical, in so far as the recruits are listed chronologically grouped under first letter of surname. It gives Date of Appointment, Name, Number of Warrant, Cause of Removal from Force (resigned, dismissed, promoted or died), and Date of Removal. A final column of ‘Remarks’ is largely blank, but occasionally gives an alias or a cross-reference to another warrant number.
1950 Imperial Service Medal
The Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood at St James’s Palace announced the award by King George VI on 22 December 1950 of the Imperial Service Medal to members of the Home Civil Service; of the Tasmanian Police and Railway Departments; and of the Colonial Service in Barbados and Sierra Leone. The names are arranged alphabetically by surname (in capitals) and christian names, with office or rank in the service.
1950 Estates of the Deceased: Notices under the Trustee Act
Under the Trustee Act 1925 s. 27, notices were gazetted giving the names of deceased (surname first, in capitals); address, description, and date of death; names, addresses and occupations of persons to whom notices of claims against the estate were to be given, and names (in brackets) of personal representatives; and the date on or before which notices of claim were to be given.
1950 Naturalised Aliens
The Home Office issued a monthly list of aliens to whom Certificates of Naturalisation had been granted by the Secretary of State, and whose oaths of allegiance had been registered. The lists are arranged alphabetically by surname and forename; then give country of origin, profession, address, and date of naturalisation. This is the list issued in December 1950 of those naturalised in November 1950. In that month 587 aliens were naturalised, the bulk being from central Europe – 249 Poles, 50 Czechoslovaks, 48 Russians, 38 Austrians, 20 Italians, and 18 Hungarians.