The London-based Society of Genealogists will be taking part in a roadshow in Bexley on 23 June 2012.
In a new BBC TV series presented by historian Michael Wood, The Great British Story looks at history through the eyes of ordinary people, uncovering what life was like for everyday Britons over the last 1,600 years. The Society of Genealogists (SoG) will be taking part in the largest of the local BBC roadshows linking in with the series. Come and meet the SoG and ask us about tracing your family history and get help and advice from Family History Experts, the SoG Census Detectives, SoG authors and local family historians.
The Great British Story: Bexley is a free BBC local history event to be held on Saturday 23 June 2012, 10am – 4pm, at Hall Place and Gardens, Bourne Road, Bexley, DA5 1PQ. This is a ticketed event with tickets only available from the BBC. Apply for your FREE tickets here, or by calling 03709 011227.
Now it’s your chance to get involved! Come along to a BBC local history event, discover fascinating history and learn how to delve into your own past. Find out more about family history, archaeology, oral history, artefacts and local heritage.
Find your place in history:
- Listen to historian, broadcaster and writer Michael Wood discussing The Great British Story
- Track down your ancestors with help and advice from family history experts and hear Else Churchill from the Society of Genealogists talk on Finding Your London Ancestors
- Learn how experts conserve and protect treasures from the Museum of London
- Find out how to date your old photos, if you’ve inherited a family photo bring it along to find out more
- Learn how to discover the history of your home using local archive sources
- Discover Bexley’s archaeological treasures and show your own mystery finds to our experts
- Explore the history of Bexley through local heroes, landmarks, working lives and industrial heritage
- Take part in a reminiscence session and share your memories of working in and around the Thames Gateway
- Plus a full programme of talks will run throughout the day
- and much more…
Please note the Society of Genealogists does not have tickets for this event.